Wednesday, September 9, 2009

He won the lottery

Pre-k is guaranteed to all 4 year olds in the state of New York, so they say. However, the process to get him into a program in quite difficult in the city. There is a lottery system for each of the schools. It is based on where you live and if you have siblings at the same school. On top of that there were only 2 schools in our district that had half day programs. All the rest were full day and I wasn't ready for Gavin to do that. Private Preschool would have cost us anywhere from 10k to 25k, so that wasn't really any option. Luckily, Gavin got into the half day program at one of the schools in our district. It is 5 days a week from 12:10 to 2:40. Several families from our ward through the years have had a child in the program and have really liked it, so we take comfort in that. That didn't keep me from stressing over it for several months. This week I haven't been sleeping well because I have been nervous for this day to come. It arrived. He has been so excited. Here he is on his first day of school..


They told us parents could stay the first day in the letter, but then she kicked us out and told us we could stay in the doorway. I was able to meet some other parents in the class. His teacher is Ms. Santiago

His good friend Nicholas is also in his class. We were in the same Lamaze class and have regular play dates since they were born!

I didn't cry yet, but tonight I have felt a bit meloncholy and am on the verge of tears as I write this. My little boy is in school. He was ready for it. I am so proud of him.


5 comments:

mysomedaylist said...

Wow Em! That was so fun to read about your summer. You have been so lucky to go and do so many things. Are your boys fish yet? I can't believe how much you've been to the beach and in the water. So fun. It's a little hard when your kiddos start school. Noah is in first grade this year...all day! But, I have to tell myself that it's great for the kids. It's so exciting to go to school and learn. Thanks for sharing your summer.

Unknown said...

He looks so grown-up...wow, I can't believe what stress there was trying to get Gavin into preschool. I am glad he 'won' and it looks like he will have a fun year!

di said...

yay! i'm so happy he got into a school you wanted - i didn't realize you were waiting to hear this week...very stressful! you didn't even break a sweat planning a jersey trip, bday party with amazing food, etc... xoxo

Tisha said...

what a handsome pre-ker!! glad it all worked out- what a relief!

Matt and Jeni and kids said...

Emily, I cried for two days when Landon went a full day of school-1st grade! I can't believe how big our kids are getting! And your boys are absolutely gorgeous! They are two of the most handsome kids I have seen! Hope he enjoys school as much as Landon does.