Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Patch and Lucas

Many of you have asked why Gavin is wearing an eye patch in so many pictures. Gavin has amblyopia. A very basic explanation is he uses one eye more than the other and because of that he stopped using his slightly worse eye making it even worse. If intervention was not made, he could eventually go blind in that eye. The eye patch and glasses force him to use is bad eye, making it stronger. It is reversible up to 7-8. Gavin has been really good about wearing it and is confident when people ask him why he wears it. He gives a great response. I think he feels a little sensitive about it now, but still does ok.

I love this picture because Gavin's best friend often insists on wearing a patch when Gavin has his on and it makes me happy.

Gavin loves Lucas. Many of his school projects reflect this. Here is a picture from early on in the school year. He most recent project on the board is a poem that Gavin wrote about Lucas.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I've mentioned to you that our son Simon wears a patch too. A great resource I've found is littlefoureyes.com.

Mackenzie said...

awww. this post made me weepy. i love our boys and i love how much they love each other! best friends are great.

Monica Rich said...

Okay, that is so sweet! What a cute little friend!

Heidi said...

So cute!!!